Monday, March 2, 2009

Reviewed: Smashing Pumpkins, making apple pie, snow


It's snowing today, a swiftly falling pelt-you-in-the-face kind of snow. This weekend I did all kinds of things for once. On Thursday, when Joe said, what do you want to do this weekend?, I said, I want to watch a whole bunch of movies at the theater. My ambitious plan was to watch all the Oscar movies I had meant to watch beforehand, maybe even two-a-day if I could handle it. 


We ended up seeing one a day (like vitamins!) with my friend Ellen replacing Joe on Sunday night's Wrestler date. All in all, I was kind of...blerged out. Milk and The Wrestler certainly were better by far than The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (undeserved best actor nom, Brad Pitt, undeserved!). But nothing was surprising, or even particularly transporting (Sean Penn excepted.) The movies were...okay. I want another Grindhouse! Or, at least, something like The Departed! I want something that makes me forget I'm in the theater, but also, thanking god that I am seeing such an amazing movie as this in a theater. I want to see a movie that makes me want to watch it a second time the minute its over.  

We also wandered the Village and got some books for my new sexy book club (Murph, you WILL join) and also--my favorite of the weekend--Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream on LP. 

Which I am listening to now, while I make an apple pie out of the apples I bought on Friday and didn't have time to make (since I had more than my hands full blackening shrimp and simmering red beans and rice, on top of the brussel sprout, tomato and fresh corn salad!) I was ambitious this weekend, and it kind of worked out. I cooked food. We slept in. We watched the season 2 finale of Dexter. I went uptown. We walked back home from the BAM down 5th Avenue. We ate John's pizza. We tried to get in to Rissoteria. I caught 20 minutes of Alive on HBO. Since I minused out the normal weekend couch-lounging and General Hospital-catching-up, it felt like having a week of vacation unzipped from a weekend's worth of time. So nice. 

But this music makes me think about how idiotic of a teenager I was. Ah, Smashing Pumpkins. Sophomore year of high school. The guy I crushed on was uninterested, heart-breakingly so. My sister and her HighSchool boyfriend (the worst of the lot, perhaps) went to a Smashing Pumpkins concert, and I stayed home inwardly pouting for not being able to go. I tried so hard to be cool back then, that when they got home I questioned my sis and her HS bf about all of the songs I was able to name ("Did they play 'Whir'? How was 'Disarm'?") and when HS bf confessed that he had gone to buy a t-shirt during "Disarm" I scoffed and said to all my friends later, "I mean, who would leave during "Disarm"? It's only the best SP song ever." 

My oh my. Memories.

75 Stars for today.   

No comments: